Saturday, January 29, 2011

"Polygamy in America" an impression

Within the first paragraph, the author has drawn you in.  Right away, I am filled with questions.  Why are they gathering?  What's the occasion?  What's the purpose?  This is a very affective way to open a paper.  Something I'd like to emulate in my own.

I knew polygamy was still around, but I had no idea it was so prevalent in America.  The author gives a basic history, in no dull way, of the development of polygamy in America and how it has returned with full force.

Although the topic is a bit unusual, I enjoyed reading it.  It is unusual in the fact that many people like to think polygamy is a small cult practice somewhere far from home, nothing to worry about.  Really, as the author shows, there are very large groups from central to western US, and they aren't backing down.

As far as the author's writing style, I enjoyed that any time he opened a new topic, a question would develop in my mind.  It would quickly --not too quickly-- be answered.  This kept me steadily curious in this article.

1 comment:

  1. Great observations, Jude. I'm glad you've payed attention to craft as well as content in this entry. I think its important to keep asking questions, even if they are not stated overtly, to our readers when we write a paper. As you observed, it keeps you steadily curious in the reading. This week we will be reading many exploratory essays; I would like you to think about what makes these essays 'exploratory', and how we can approach writing this way in our unit one papers.

    ReplyDelete