Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Morning: April 8

My Thesis is printed and I'm ready to hand it in.  It took me a little longer than I expected to come up with a good thesis, since my topic seems a lot broader than I expected.

I'll rewrite my thesis just for record.

"Advances in ocean exploration, whether it be deep-sea or not, has brought about developments in underwater technology.  Despite explorers best efforts, there are those who abuse this technology for commercial reasons, leading to the destruction of some of the most fragile ecosystems on the planet.  Are the discoveries being made and underwater research facilities worth the inevitable damage done in one way or another to the pristine places in the ocean?"

Hopefully it makes sense.  It took me a while to come up with that, since my thesis can be so deep, I had to think a lot before I could take a stance.

My stance is this:

Since we cannot prevent explorers going into unknown land (or water), and since much of our technology used commercially comes from our past explorers, we are obligated to try to protect our world as best we can.  Educating people about the ocean, fighting to protect things like coral reefs and endangered species, and keeping contact with fragile life are some suggestions that I have.

I hope there will be enough convicting evidence than the opposing side will be crushed under the weight of my argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment