Friday, February 4, 2011

"Family Guy"

Let's see, where to begin....

I've never watched "Family Guy," nor do I plan to.  Sorry to those fans out there but I, like the author's first opinion, still think it's a bit too crude for me.

This exploratory essay was different than the others.  It seemed more like a biography of the show or something like that.  The author tells a story of the birth and growth of a television series.  I like the way she writes it; though, I'm not quite sure what she's exploring.

Is she exploring the show or some deeper meaning within it?  Is she exploring the controversy involved within the show?

I believe it might be that she's striving to open her reader's eyes to the true meaning to "Family Guy."  She states it quite clearly in her conclusion, "... [I]t's important not to lose sight of what's truly unfunny in real life–– even as we appreciate what is hilarious in fiction." (266)  It's a satire of our culture–– no wonder it's crude.

Even though I've never seen the show or have a desire to see it, I still enjoyed the essay.  She writes very smoothly and comprehensively.  There is plenty of humor and she raises many interesting questions not only about the show but about our society.  Her intro grabs the reader right away, "While slouching in front of the television..." (257)  How could that opening not interest a reader?  It's this sort of opening I will strive for in my own paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment