Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Getting Squirrelly"

I really enjoyed reading this students paper on squirrels.  I've always found squirrels to be humorous, and the author plays with this.  She writes with humor and interesting information.

I thought it was interesting that the quotes are used in such a way that I barely noticed the author was quoting.  I guess this could be called a seamless flow from the authors words to someone else's.

This was definitely an exploratory essay, since it seems like we are going through the exploration process along with the author.  She writes this well.

Unlike the Polygamy article, "Getting Squirrelly" did not raise a lot of questions or make me curious.  It was more the humor that kept me reading.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm-I think you are referring to her use of partial quoting. Partial quoting can sometimes be more effective than a full quote, especially when the quote drags on, and you can make it more economical in your own words. I agree with the 'seamless flow' it creates in the paper. As to your last comment, I suppose something we should strive for is to raise questions while still entertaining the reader (which does not always have to be done through humor.)

    ReplyDelete