Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday Before Class

I'm sitting at the library, sources in hand.

Just to list them so far:

"Back to the Bottom," an article in Nature by Robert Cooke.  This article is short but talks about the new submarines a company in Massachusetts is developing.

Enabling Ocean Research in the 21st Century is a book that explains modern observatories underwater in an attempt to further our understanding of the oceans.

The Eternal Darkness, by Robert D. Ballard, tells the history of deep ocean exploration from the first submarine to remote submarines of the modern world.  Robert D. Ballard was one of the explorers who discovered the Titanic's wreck.

There are three other books I've been looking at as well.  They are more exploration encyclopedias than deep-sea exploration books.

New Spaces of Exploration: Geographies of Discovery in the Twentieth Century


Explorers: The Most Exciting Voyages of Discovery


World Explorers and Discovery


I'm trying to find more articles, but I get mostly articles on either deep-sea animals (which wouldn't be bad) or oil drilling (not what I want).

1 comment:

  1. It's good to see you are being discerning in your research; I agree that you want to shy away from articles that make your topic any bigger than it is right now. I think deep sea animals might be too broad as well... I'm curious, where do you see your project heading right now? What questions are you asking, and what answers have you found? If you were to explain to someone why you were writing this paper, what would you say? You might want to think about the answers to some of these questions before you begin drafting your paper this week (we will also do a similar exercise in class on Monday.)

    On a side note, I think you are being very ambitious in your source searching, and I'm sure that will help you exponentially in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete