Thursday, February 17, 2011

Source Update: Thurs Feb 17

In my first draft, I decided last minute I needed a source for Space exploration.  After all, how can I write a paper on modern exploration and not mention outer space, if only briefly.  The article I found is entitled "Technology Needs for Future Space Exploration," perfect for my paper.  It was written by Kumar Krishen, the senior scientist/lead technologist and leads the Technology Transfer Office at NASA Johnson Space Center, so if anyone knows about what technology they use to explore, it's him.  I only used this article for a couple paragraphs in my paper, but it helped affirm the point that in the future, if technology has advanced adequately, they are theorizing a lunar colony and a human Mars mission.  Can you imagine seeing people set foot on Mars for the first time?  It'll be like the first lunar landing in 1969, only more exciting since it's another planet, not just a moon.

Another source I've found is called "Lights in the Deep."  This one talks about the bioluminescence of underwater creatures.  Where there is absolutely no light, some creatures, like anglerfish and copepods, contain a certain bacteria within them that produce a natural light.  This fascinating ability can help catch prey, defend against attack, attract a mate, and perhaps even communicate.  This may or may not be useful in my paper.  I actually didn't use this source in my exploratory essay, since it really didn't have much to do with exploration (more specialized), but I may use it for my other paper.  What will happen when light becomes more common in the deep?  Will animals start to adapt away from bioluminescence?

"Submarine fans at all sea-level stands: Tectono-morphologic and climatic controls on terrigenous sediment delivery to the deep sea" is another article I found.  This one is about the changes in geological features on the sea floor.  It may be useful to understand what the ocean floor might look like.  And as we explore the underwater structures more, our knowledge of the geology will increase, so it is a positive thing to continue to explore.

These three sources are not extremely useful to my paper, but it's always good to get more than enough sources on a topic just in case I need them. 

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I have no idea why the last two paragraphs shrunk. It's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup-definitely weird. Well I'll only give you a brief comment, since I gave you a detailed response via email. Good to see you are keeping up with the blog! I'm curious to see how you decide to handle 'space' in your next draft.

    ReplyDelete